Thursday, 15 September 2011

New Experiences

A prominent part of the view from our apartment is the "floating mosque", named as such as it is built on stilts.  It is truly a beautiful piece of architecture.  Surrounding the mosque are several boats.  We think these are fishing boats, however we have yet to see any of them actually move away from the coast line.  More than 50% of the population here are Muslim.  There are speakers throughout the city which play music during the prayer times - I believe this is about 5 times per day.  Calvin has asked quite a few questions about the music, particularly wanting to understand the meaning and the frequency.  Wesley has asked about it too, in his own way: "What's the music Mama?"  I've realized I am fairly ignorant about the religion.  I think I will need to do some googling and try to make this an educational experience for all of us.


A couple of days ago, my friend Emma took me to a "wet market".  Penang has several wet markets all around the island.  These are basically large farmers markets that are held every day.  You can find fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as VERY fresh fish and meats.  I was thoroughly enjoying all of the produce stands.  Then we went to the chicken stand.  I saw crates of live chickens coming off of a truck - I then saw a large table with a guy chopping up chicken.  That was just a little too fresh for me!

I have been very busy meeting new people and learning my way around.  I have been introduced to several ladies over the last week, via friends and friends of friends (many are wives of Intel employees that have been sent here on assignment).  Everyone is so helpful and welcoming.  One trend I am seeing is that they all love it here and are not in any hurry to get back to the States.  I think Josh is already on that bandwagon.  He absolutely loves it here.  The kids and I are really enjoying it too.  Calvin could not be happier at school.  When I pick him up he gushes "school is so fun mom!!"

We have a long weekend here this weekend.  Friday is Malaysia Day and there is no school or work.  We kicked off the weekend by checking out a new area for dinner and found a Charlie Brown Restaurant.  The food was absolutely terrible but the kids loved the ambiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment