Thursday, 22 September 2011

Differences

As we get adjusted to life in Penang, we realize how easy life is in the United States.  I don't think anyone would say that life here is hard, particularly not with the comforts we are lucky enough to have.  However, some day to day differences have stood out:
  • We don't have a dishwasher in our apartment.  There are some apartments/homes here that do have dishwashers but it is definitely a rarity.
  • The kitchen does not have hot water.  So in order to wash dishes, I have to heat up the water first.  I purchased an electric kettle that heats up the water in just a few minutes which has made this job much easier.
  • You have to flip a switch when you want to turn on hot water for your shower or bath.  It only takes a few minutes for the water to heat up - not a big deal.
  • Most homes do not have a clothes dryer.  We were initially excited to see that our apartment had a dryer.  However, after the first couple of uses, we realized it is a poorly functioning dryer (it takes approx 2.5 - 3 hrs to dry a load).  We have since purchased a clothes line and hang our clothes to dry.  I am happy with this anyway since it is better for the environment.  However, our clothes are definitely lacking the softness we are used to!
  • There is no recycling.  I cannot express the amount of guilt I feel every time I look at what I am throwing in the trash.
  • Most people eat out.  The food at the roadside food stands is very inexpensive ($2-3 per person for a full meal).  This makes it more economical to eat out rather than cook.  Because of this, there are not as many grocery stores.  I don't have the luxury of running up the street to grab an item or two.  If you ask Josh, he would probably say this is a good thing as I usually ended up buying much more than intended when I went on those quick trips to the store.
  • American sports coverage is very limited.  We are able to get Sunday and Monday Night football live.  But most other things are tape delayed.  Josh is extremely disappointed with the college football coverage.
  • Internet access is much slower.  Additionally, we can't get access to some things due to international laws.  I am unable to watch Dancing With the Stars on abc.com due to these laws.  Those that know me well know what a major disappointment this is for me......

1 comment:

  1. Maybe for Christmas Santa will bring you dryer sheets. LOL Thanks for sharing this, Trudy. It's nice hear about your experiences so far away.

    ReplyDelete