We have stuck close to home the last couple of weekends as the rainy season is in full force here in Penang. We get amazing thunder and lightning storms at least 5 days a week, and guaranteed rain every day. Since our boys are incredible homebodies, this has been a nice change for them. Conversely, Josh and I get a bit stir crazy. Luckily, we've been able to have several date nights thanks to our wonderful nanny Lynnea and her husband Donovan, who came out for an extended visit.
Since I am low on any sightseeing adventures to report, I thought I'd share more on Calvin's school - Dalat International School. It is the only American international school on the island, which is not why we chose it, but has actually been a nice complement to his experience. Dalat is a K-12 school and includes a boarding house for older students. We have all been very impressed with the school. The curriculum is challenging for him and most of all we love the fact that he is going to school with children from so many different countries around the world. Calvin's class has 12 kids - they are from Australia, Switzerland, Japan, Malaysia, Korea, and the US.
From our initial tour of the campus, we were very impressed. The outside of the campus has a remarkable resemblance to the residential compound of the Dharma Initiative from the TV show Lost. The classrooms are all very modern, including smartboards on the walls rather than whiteboards. Since Lynnea and Donovan's arrival, I have been able to spend quite a bit of time volunteering in Calvin's classroom which has been a wonderful experience for me as well.
Elementary classroom courtyard -
Calvin's classroom is just behind the leftmost tree in the picture
Dorms for boarding students
Cafeteria right on the ocean. Black roof is the indoor portion, blue roof is the patio.
I have watched parasailers go by while having lunch with Calvin.



No comments:
Post a Comment